9.14.2013

French Inspired

French inspired

I often find myself scouring Craig’s List for treasures that need a little lovin’. Sometimes there is nothing and then some days there is something special that really gets me excited….excited enough to tear up my hands pulling staples! Ouch!

Most recently, I found a little setee that I thought needed me!  I forgot to take a before pic, which I now realize would make things a whole lot more interesting for you…but I’ll just tell you that she wasn’t looking good.  The fabric was drab and dirty.  The stain was kind of meh.  So I got to work.

First, the hard work…stripping the fabric. This gets a zero on the fun and creative scale…ZEE-RO!  But it must be done!  So I got all that icky fabric off in preparation for the transformation! 

With the frame bare I got to sanding and then painting it a taupe-y neutral paint.  Then I distressed the piece to highlight her pretty details. Next, I applied a dry brush glaze and finished it all off with furniture wax for a silky furniture sheen. 

Once I had the frame painted I knew exactly which fabric I wanted to use.  I had fallen in love and purchased couple yards of this wonderful fabric a while back not knowing exactly how to use it.  I believe it was meant for this setee!  The fabric is chocolate and cream with a touch of purple. It has a wonderful linen-y texture and the print is a French script {so I don’t know what it says…} but it is gorgeous and so different!   The purple is an image of a wax seal...so much beautiful detail!


 I also have it in gray and white and I’m planning on using it on a wing back that is laying in waiting in the basement!
So, I will admit that the act of upholstering furniture is not really “fun”, but when it’s done…oh my!  So satisfying to see something transformed from yuck to wow!


Voila! 





And just as in the grand circle of life…she’s back on Craig’s 2 just weeks later! I can't keep all these projects, you know.  My house would be like an episode of hoarders! So, I fix them up and sell them.  It's fun.
 I wonder if her original owner would recognize her now? 

X0,
Shan

2 comments:

  1. Love!
    I tried to check on Craigslist ....listing would not come up :(
    I am in California so maybe your in Canada? (do they have Craigslist?)lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I fixed the Craig's link. I'm in Indiana, actually! Thanks for the love! :)

    ReplyDelete