6.23.2013

Arugula & Orzo Summer Salad

Hey, I’ve got a special treat for you! 
I first had this salad a couple of years ago at a friend's house and it wow'd me!  So simple and yet I couldn't get enough! I've shared it with my family and now, I want to share it with you!  
.   .   .   .   .   .   . 
 This Arugula & Orzo Summer Salad is one of my all time favorites! The combination of crisp, spicy arugula with chilled orzo pasta, {I love cold pasta!} tangy feta and sweet cranberries is a perfect combination of flavors!  This salad is light and refreshing and if you throw in a few strips of grilled chicken, you would be set for dinner! 


So, let’s get started!
Here’s the line up
1/2 package Orzo pasta-prepared  and chilled 
{I find that  1/2 the package a makes a good family size salad}
1 package of dried cranberries or dried cherries
1 bag of baby arugula lettuce
1-6oz.  container of crumbled Feta 
{if you’re crazy about Feta you might want break into a second container!}
1 Lemon for zest and juice
Olive Oil—You’re going to be drizzling.  
It’s completely up to you how much you use! 
Salt and Pepper-to taste
.   .   .   .   .   .   . 
Like most salads, the instructions are pretty basic.combine and toss! 
Start with the orzo and arugula in a large bowl.  
Next give it a drizzle with the olive oil 
{just do it like you would dress any salad—
you can always add a little more to moisten it up later}
Next squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon 
{If you really love  citrus , I’d zest the peel before squeezing the juice. }  
How about a little salt and pepper to taste?  Yes!
Give that a toss and then throw in the feta and cranberries. 
One final toss and then give it a taste!  
{MmmmDelish!}
You might want to season it a little more or if you feel so inclined, add another drizzle of the olive oil. 
That's it!  Ready to serve!
.   .   .   .   .   .   . 

One thing I love about this salad is how great it tastes the next day!  The arugula really stays crisp!  So, don’t worry if you have some left over and definitely do not throw it out!!! 

Summer is officially here! 
 I hope you are having a great one!

-S


No comments:

Post a Comment